Epicurious: Cumin-Roasted Potatoes with Caviar and Smoked Salmon
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon (packed) minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon (packed) minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely crushed cumin seeds
- 12 small fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (about 14 ounces)
- 3 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1/2-inch-by-2 1/2-inch strips
- 1 ounce caviar
- Small fresh dill sprigs
- Using vegetable peeler, remove peel (yellow part only) from lemons. Simmer peel, 1/2 cup water, and 4 teaspoons kosher salt in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until salt dissolves. Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons and peel is tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Transfer peel with liquid to jar. Add lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Refrigerate at least 1 day and up to 1 week.
- Drain peel; mince. Stir crème fraîche, minced dill, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon minced peel in small bowl. Cover and chill at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 450°F. Brush nonstick baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil and cumin in large bowl. Add potatoes; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes, cut side down, on baking sheet and roast until tender and cut sides are brown, about 12 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Arrange potato halves, cut side up, on platter. Top each with 1 teaspoon crème fraäche, 1 salmon strip, and 1/2 teaspoon caviar. Garnish with dill sprigs.
Tag @TheCaviarCo of you enjoying your recipe for a chance to be featured on our Social Media Pages!