Wine Enthusiast: Poached Halibut in Caviar Beurre Blanc Recipe
- 4 quarts fish stock
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ bunch thyme
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 11 sprigs and 1 bunch parsley, plus more,
- for garnish
- 4 6-ounce halibut fillets
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced, plus more, to taste
- 6 ⅓ ounces sparkling wine
- ½ cup cold butter, diced
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- 1 ounce caviar, preferably American Hackleback sturgeon
- 2 cups olive oil
- Salt-roasted baby beets, for serving (recipe and directions below)
- In deep sauté pan, combine fish stock, bay leaves, thyme, coriander and 6 sprigs parsley over medium heat. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and return liquid to pan.
- Warm to very low simmer.
- Season halibut with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Add to pan and poach until cooked through, 6–7 minutes. Carefully remove halibut with fish spatula.
- To make beurre blanc, chop leaves from 5 sprigs parsley. Combine bare stems in pot with wine.
- Cook over medium heat until reduced by half. Reduce heat to very low simmer, discard parsley stems and add butter slowly. Stir quickly until butter incorporates and sauce is creamy. Season with sugar, salt, pepper and lemon juice, to taste. Gently fold in chopped parsley leaves and caviar.
- Place olive oil and leaves from remaining parsley bunch in blender. Purée until bright green. Strain through fine-mesh strainer or coffee filter.
- Spoon beurre blanc onto plate and top with halibut. Arrange beets around fish. Garnish with parsley oil and additional parsley leaves. Serves 4.
Ingredients for Salt Baked Baby Beets
- 2 bunches red heirloom baby beets
- 3 pounds rock sea salt
Directions for Salt Baked Baby Beets
- Heat oven to 350˚F. Trim tops of beets, and wash with warm water. On baking sheet, spread rock sea salt to cover bottom of pan. Place beets on salt, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until soft, approximately 40–45 minutes. (Check with cake tester.) Cool beets for 10 minutes. While still warm, peel beets with soft towel. Slice in half.
Tag @TheCaviarCo of you enjoying your recipe for a chance to be featured on our Social Media Pages!
Recipe Credit: Wine Enthusiast
Photo by John Kernick / Food Styling by Frances Boswel
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.