Smoked Salmon Cakes with Cucumber-Caviar Sauce
A beautiful bite-sized appetizer for your next gathering. This recipe also makes larger cakes for more of a meal.
- 1 3-inch piece English cucumber, peeled and seeded
- Zest form 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh salmon
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 -1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable (or canola) oil
- Smoked trout roe caviar, plus extra fro garnish
1. Line a fine-mesh strainer with a double layer of paper towels and place over a bowl. Grate cucumber into strainer and allow cucumber to drain for about 30 minutes. Once drained, squeeze out any additional liquid from cucumber and place into a separate bowl. Add lemon zest and sour cream and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Remove any bones from salmon; remove and discard skin. Chop salmon into small pieces and place in a large bowl (use back of a knife to smash some of salmon into more of a paste). Add scallion, parsley, and lemon zest and mix until just combined. Add egg and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and season with pepper. Mix again until mixture holds together (add in more breadcrumbs if needed). Form into small cakes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. In an oven-safe sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add salmon cakes and sear on both sides until lightly golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer pan to oven and bake until salmon cakes are cooked through, 5-10 minutes (depending on size/thickness). Transfer cakes to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool.
5. Place cakes on a large serving platter and top each with a bit cucumber-caviar sauce, and a small dollop of caviar on top.
Makes approximately 18 cakes.
Tag @TheCaviarCo of you enjoying your recipe for a chance to be featured on our Social Media Pages!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.